It is no news that children are taking on a new form of behavior nowadays. The constant use of technology, the dynamic lifestyle and other factors deeply impact how our children grow. Technology helps our children grow faster, which then makes it impossible for parents to take control of their children. And while raising children in a controlling way can do more harm than good, a certain strictness is definitely a must.
As every expert will tell you, educating your children begins at home. This means that practices like establishing a bedtime, playtime and chores time mean more than we care to believe. Children are in need of control and education, which is why we need to step up to the plate as parents and introduce limitations.
How does one achieve raising a well-behaved and well-socialized child? Read on to find out.
8 Practices to Help You Raise a Well-Adjusted Child
- Paying attentionAs simple as it sounds, this practice is of great importance for raising children into reasonable adults. Just being there for your children through the good and bad can lead to improvements in their social behavior.Nurturing and teaching your children about life is a practice every parent has to engage in. Children have strong memories and know when you put in the effort to focus on their wellbeing. By simply offering your children help, you also boost their self-confidence and help them love school for a change.
- ReadingAs per studies, many children lack reading but find immense benefits once they pick up on this practice. The bond between parents and children during story-time is very strong and makes lasting connections between the two. Make sure that your reads are informative, fun and creative, so your children actually listen and absorb useful information in return.
- HuggingStudies have shown that nothing brings more comfort than the simplicity of a hug. When parents hug their children constantly, they give them a sense of reassurance and confidence. Also, hugging helps release oxytocin or the love hormone.Through hugs, children will improve their behavioral practices and will also boost their brain function. When in doubt on what to do about your child, give him/her a hug.
- RoutinesChildren work on reflexes, just as many adults do. This is one of the reasons why routines are an important part of your child’s life. Whether we are talking chores, entertainment or time spent with your family, make sure your routines never stray.When you establish a routine, children gain a sense of belonging, work ethic and responsibility. Some of the work routines you can implement at home include feeding the pets, bringing the mail, cleaning the play area and gathering leaves in the yard.
- Playing OutsideThe neighborhood is a great place to socially shape your children. When your child plays with others, it begins to understand the concept of sharing and friendship. With this, children also learn to be more independent and figure things out on their own.And who is to say you cannot play outside as well? Do sports, swim, hike and do a number of other things together with your children. In return, you will manage to incept discipline, ethics, empathy, and cooperation in your children.
Finally, playing outside is a great way to shake off stress and get some Vitamin D in the sun.
- Bedtime RoutineChildren need sleep more than adults do. Sleep helps improve the cognitive abilities in children and helps the body grow in a healthy manner. Because of this and more, setting up a strict bedtime policy is necessary. If not, your child may be exposed to many health impairments, like hyperactivity, anger, and ADHD.Along with a sleep schedule, you should also create an intro into the entire process. Practices like dining, teeth brushing and reading before bed will subconsciously suggest to children that sleep time is well on its way.
- Healthy RelationshipsChildren are very sensitive to how the adults in their lives behave towards one another. For that, keeping a strong bond with your partner will help your child appreciate her/his family even more. Make sure you also spend lots of time with other family members, making the child part of a greater group.Some of the bonding practices you can try at home include:
-Giving each other compliments
-Giving back and being empathetic
-Having regular date nights
-Have long conversations
- ForgivenessAdults have to teach their children to forgive, instead of not forget. Forgiveness is a great way to release hardships and burdens caused by an unpleasant situation. With that, children also need to ask for forgiveness and apologize when they have wronged you.