In recent years, we have seen an extra emphasis being put on the health benefits of Himalayan salt. Unlike regular salt, which is considered harmful to our health, Himalayan salt was widely accepted as a healthier alternative.
Today, we’ll shed some light on what Himalayan salt is, what it is used for, and how you can make the most of it, health-wise.
Himalayan Salt: Background
Himalayan salt is mostly found in mountains in China, Nepal, Myanmar,and India. The region is covered in crystallized sea salt areas, covered by lava. Basically, lava helps protect the salt from outer influences and pollution.
What Are The Benefits of Himalayan Salt?
Himalayan salt is comprised of essential minerals, like iodine, which affect our energy levels. Some of the other perks and benefits of Himalayan salt include:
- Reduced sodium content.
- Over 80 other essential compound and minerals, like magnesium, borate, bromide, sulfate, calcium, and fluoride.
- Balancing the electrolyte levels in the body.
- Ability to hydrate the body, inside and out.
- Maintaining a healthy pH balance and helping with alkalizing the organism.
- Prevents muscle cramps and spasms.
- Boosts the metabolism.
- Fortifies the bones structure.
- Improves intestinal absorption of nutrients.
- Boosts the circulation.
- Eradicates sediment and flushes free radicals from the body.
- In some cases, Himalayan salt increases the libido and stamina in men.
Pink Salt, Sea Salt, Regular Salt: The Difference
Technically, Himalayan or pink salt is a form of sea salt. But, what is regular salt, the one we use at home? While sea salt derives from a large water surface, like the sea or ocean, regular salt has zero nutritional value. It is refined and has lost all of its minerals, except sodium and chloride.
Standard salt is also bleached, heated and chemically processed, which makes it that more threatening to our health. Due to other chemicals, regular salt cannot dissolve as easily as other types of salt, which makes it dehydrate the body.
What Can Pink Salt Be Used For?
There are many uses of Himalayan or pink salt, including:
- Purifying the air
How to Cook Low-Sodium Meals?
To learn how to use sea salt and steer clear of sodium at the same time, below is a meat brine recipe to guide you.
- 1-gallon water
- 3 ounces sea salt
- 3 ounces sugar (optional)
- 1 tbsp.citrus zest (orange, lemon, lime peel)
In a pot filled with water, add salt, sugar, zest and bring the mix to a simmer. Make sure the salt and sugar are well-dissolved before proceeding. Set pot aside to cool off, and allow the protein to brine for up to 6 hours. Drain well, and set in the fridge for 2 hours.
Prepare your meat as desired and put Himalayan salt on your ‘essentials’ list!