If you were on the search for the perfect vegetable to keep your health optima, celery might be it. There are plenty of reasons to love celery. For starters, it is packed with essential vitamins and minerals. Watery, spongy and ultra-hydrating for the body, celery has become a leading food on the market, alongside avocado and garlic.
Packed with magnesium, potassium, as well as vitamin C, B, A and K, celery contributes more to your health than you think. Celery also works as a great antioxidant thanks to its rich content in phytonutrients. These anti-inflammatory agents are in charge of strengthening the immunity and keeping your best health in check.
In fact, a cup of raw and chopped celery contains the following nutritional value:
- 2 calories
- 5 grams carbohydrates
- 7 grams protein
- 2 grams fat
- 6 grams fiber
- 6 micrograms vitamin K
- 453 international units
- 5 micrograms folate
- 263 milligrams potassium
- 1 milligrams vitamin C
- Zero milligram manganese
- Zero milligram vitamin B6
- 4 milligrams calcium
- Zero milligram riboflavin
- 1 milligrams magnesium
Celery also contains small amounts of sugar, pantothenic acid, niacin, vitamin E, zinc, phosphorus, iron, and selenium.
As for its benefits, celery provides the following:
- Keeps the body safe from inflammation.
- Manages the perfect pH balance in the organism.
- Helps with losing weight as it is low-calorie, high-fiber.
- Encourages digestion and prevents stomach problems.
- Protects the urinary tract and keeps you safe of infections.
- Relaxes the nerves and promotes better sleep.
- Balances cholesterol and blood pressure levels, a result of its phthalide content.
- Treats heartburn and acid reflux, because it contains minimum acids.
- Promotes better eyes health, due to its high vitamin A levels.
- Cleans the teeth naturally, because of its fiber abundance.
Next time you think about celery, think how much it impacts your health, without you even knowing it. There is no time better than the present to start including this marvelous green into your day-to-day menu. Stay fit, stay full, stay healthy!